Voorhees Mall

Jenish Patel, Ravi Desai, Kishan Patel

Section 6

———————————–

VOORHEES MALL

 

Jenish Patel via Google Images CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

Voorhees Mall is located at the heart of the College Avenue campus at Rutgers University in New Brunswick. The nature like scenery along with the old traditional style lecture halls gives this strip of land a campus atmosphere. On one side sits the new honors college dorms buildings, and on the other sit a few buildings built a long time ago such as the church. During the weekdays of the semesters, students are constantly walking through the Voorhees Mall, taking in the beauty of nature and the sights of the buildings and even the statue of William the silent.

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoGeoJSON-LogoGeoRSS-Logo
Voorheen Mall, Ritgers University

loading map - please wait...

Voorheen Mall, Ritgers University 40.500095, -74.447340

Essay:

     For our project we decided to trace Voorhees Mall on the College Ave Campus of Rutgers University. Voorhees Mall is located near downtown New Brunswick, New Jersey. The mall was originally formed in 1903 when a city street by the name of Bleeker Place was closed. After several donations to Rutgers, including what is now known as Voorhees Hall, the grassy mall was named after Ralph and Elizabeth Rodman Voorhees. The sizable donations by the Voorhees show the virtues and selflessness of the Dutch. Originally a $60,000 donation from Mr & Mrs. Voorhees helped build the Ralph Voorhees library which would later become Voorhees Hall. Mrs. Voorhees continued her charitable work by donating an additional $150,000 for enlargements and new equipment in 1907. It is interesting to note that the name “Voorhees” is tied back to a one Steven Coerte. Steven Coerte, his wife, and eight children resided on a farm located near the village of Hees in the Province of Drenthe in north-east Holland around 1660. Under later British rule, he adopted the surname: “Van (before) Voor (village) Hees.” Everyone with the name Voorhees is tied back to him, including Ralph and Elizabeth Rodman Voorhees.

     However, Voorhees Mall is not only connected to Rutgers by location. The Mall was also the site of the annual commencement for Rutgers College. More recently, the Mall was used during Rutgers Day for new and current students to enjoy. We decided on Voorhees Mall because not only are many of our classes there but also because it is where we first fully experienced our University on Rutgers Day. It is amazing to see how an area we walk by everyday can be filled with so much history. Voorhees Mall is also home to some historic sites such as the statue of William the Silent. Voorhees Mall not only provides aesthetically pleasing lush fields and statues but also represents some of our rich Dutch history.

Bibliography:

  1. “Voorhees Mall, Site of Commencement, Rich in Rutgers History.” Voorhees Mall, Site of Commencement, Rich in Rutgers History. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.
  2. “Then and Now: A Photographic Study of Rutgers’ College Avenue Campus, Part 2.” Muckgers. N.p., 30 Apr. 2014. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.
  3. “Paths to Historic Rutgers: A Self-Guided Tour.” Rutgers University Libraries: Special Collections and University Archives:. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.

Return to home page.

Peter Stuyvesant’s Pear Tree

By: Liliya Bondarenko, Alfred Smajlaj, Juhee Thakkar and Paul Chamesian.


 

 

Peter Stuyvesant’s pear tree, located on 13th Street & 3rd Avenue in New York City. 

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoGeoJSON-LogoGeoRSS-Logo
13th + 3rd

loading map - please wait...

13th + 3rd 48.216038, 16.378984

Peter_Stuyvesant

Peter Stuyvesant, the once director-general of New York City, planted this pear tree in order to be remembered by the future inhabitants of the city. The tree grew as New York City did, lasting for almost 200 years. It was fenced in. It was a tree that grew ripe fruit and often bloomed, but unfortunately died after being damaged in a car accident. It is now commemorated with a plaque in the same area that it once grew, and keeps citizens of New York in touch with their Dutch roots.

download    


                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

 

pear-tree-1861

 

 

 

 

 

 

Peter Stuyvesant’s pear tree was located on the corner of 13th Street and 3rd Avenue in New York City, near where he built his home. He was the director-general of the New Netherlands colony from 1647 up to 1664, when the Dutch lost it to the British and New Amsterdam was renamed New York. After losing the colony, Stuyvesant went back to The Netherlands, and when he again returned to New York, he brought a pear tree from his farm with him. The tree flourished, and continued to live while New York grew around it, even being fenced in for protection. Unfortunately, the tree was damaged in a car accident and had to be removed. The story of Stuyvesant’s tree shows how dearly people hold the idea of their past, and demonstrates how important it is to do so. Even in the 1800s, people knew how important it was to hold on to artifacts of the past, and to make sure that even when the physical artifact is gone, something is there to remember it by. This artifact is not expressly related to the history of Rutgers, but it is important for American history in general. It is one of the few links we have to our Dutch ancestry, compared to the many ideas and objects we have connected to our British ancestry. We chose this artifact specifically for that reason – that it is expressly connected to one of the Dutch leaders who helped to colonize and shape New York City.

In September of 1890, the Holland Society of New York placed a plaque on the same corner that the tree once lived, in order to keep the memory of New York’s Dstuyvesanttreeplaqueutch ancestry alive.

 

 

 

 

 

In 2003, a new tree was planted in the same spot as the original, in the hopes of it lasting for the same amount of times as the previous one.

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 11.13.42 PM

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A view of 13th and 3rd today. If you look closely you can see the plaque on the buildinthirdandthirteenthst2011g. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sources:

http://thevillager.com/villager_29/stuyvensantspeartree.html

https://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/east-13th-streets-most-famous-downed-tree/

http://kottke.org/09/01/peter-stuyvesants-pear-tree

http://thevillager.com/villager_98/peterspeartree.html

Return to home page.